Patient-reported outcome (PRO) surveys collect unfiltered feedback at regular intervals, which is used to inform program-level improvement initiatives. The data provides a retrospective analysis of organizational performance and is monitored over time to evaluate the impact of care delivery changes on patient populations. However, PRO programs that also use these data to adjust care in real-time improve patient outcomes exponentially.
Regular check-ins using PRO survey tools can help care teams better understand unique patient needs. But collecting PROs can be labor-intensive and you may not have the time or resources to process patient feedback and make it actionable. Digital engagement technology is a powerful tool to supplement your PRO strategy and drive meaningful care delivery improvement – for both the individual and the program.
Automating Collection of PROs
You can streamline data collection and reduce the burden on your care team by leveraging a digital communication platform to deliver survey questions directly to a patient’s mobile phone in a timely and automated way. Secure messages are used to prompt patients to report what they are experiencing, how they are feeling, and barriers they are facing. Use of a digital engagement tool is also a great way to automatically support patients between in person visits by:
- Providing encouragement for small achievements and positive outcomes
- Reinforcing the importance of following the plan of care
- Providing education about strategies to manage disease or make lifestyle changes
- Validating feelings and frustrations, while providing information about healthy coping strategies
Creating Actionable Insights
The most valuable benefit of a PRO strategy is the empowerment of front-line staff to know which patients require additional support, so they may focus their precious time in the most effective manner. Employing a digital patient engagement tool to collect patient reported outcomes will empower your care teams with:
- Access to real-time patient feedback
- Pre-configured alert parameters for out-of-range findings
- Automated escalation of alerts
Care coordinators, case managers, and other designated staff will spend less time playing phone-tag and calling patients that are recovering as expected, and more time connecting with those that are at higher risk for readmissions and other complications. As a result, you will realize better patient outcomes, higher staff and patient satisfaction, and a lower cost of care.
Measuring patient outcomes will help you improve care quality and value across an endless number of use cases. Whether you’ve yet to begin collecting patient-reported data, or you want to expand your program to other service lines and use cases, here are some ideas to consider:
- Start with a use case that follows a consistent pattern of recovery, such as a joint replacement, to gain organizational knowledge and experience
- Focus on specific therapies like medications or devices to evaluate patient outcomes
- Expand to post-discharge use cases – either for a specific medical diagnosis or surgical service line
- Tackle a chronic illness and learn how to manage broader population variance
PROs are invaluable in helping you understand if the care and treatment you provide is working to improve the patient’s quality of life and satisfaction with their care. That added insight will enable you to improve care and clinical outcomes, reduce variability, and increase satisfaction and loyalty.
Patient-Reported Outcomes Factsheet
Learn how Twistle’s digital engagement platform can power your patient-reported outcome strategy and drive results by:
- Automatically sending survey questions according to time-based protocols
- Breaking down complicated survey instruments into smaller forms
- Delivering education on the importance of completing surveys
To download the factsheet, please complete the form below.