Growing healthcare costs and strained resources continue to be a major concern for the US healthcare system. In order to create a more sustainable model, payers are shifting incentives for providers to focus less on services and more on the overall health of their patients. Payers are also putting considerable effort into keeping their members healthy through proactive outreach. Reaching members at the right time with the right information can help ensure that members are receiving preventive care, have assistance managing chronic conditions, and can access other health and wellness resources. The current model of phone-based outreach, however, is both resource-intensive and often inconvenient or ineffective for members.
Using a digital communication tool is a great way to reach lower acuity members who might not need the level of support that a high risk member may require, but can still benefit from the outreach. Since text-based communication is asynchronous, members can respond on their own timelines, when it’s best for them, and ineffective and frustrating phone tag is significantly reduced. Digital outreach is also a great way to collect information, link directly to useful resources, and answer questions periodically so your members stay engaged in their health.Here are three applications for text-based communication with members that will reduce the workload for care coordinators and help keep members on track.
- New Member “Welcome” Resources. The enrollment of a new member can trigger messages about available programs and other helpful resources, and establish a trusted channel of communication. Information on the benefits of the plan can be shared in brief text messages to increase program utilization and improve health. This might include gym membership discounts, diet and nutritional assistance, or other wellness programs. As an added bonus, when members know how to get the most value from their health plan, they will likely be more satisfied.
- Risk Screening for Proactive Intervention. Your team can get ahead of worsening health conditions by prompting members to report health information and respond to surveys. This could include behavioral health, poor lifestyle habits, mobility issues, or social determinants of health (SDoH). The more you understand about your members in their everyday lives, the better you’ll be able to intervene with added support.
- Condition Management Support. Many conditions like hypertension, diabetes, asthma and others can be better managed with ongoing digital support. From remote monitoring to identifying gaps in care, a digital platform can keep you closely connected to your members who are living with a chronic condition and enable intervention when needed. Offering meaningful coaching and tangible resources via text-based communication can break down complex information into easy to understand messages.
While most payers are providing these services to some degree today, it’s a huge weight on already limited health plan resources. Automating much of this member engagement helps payers keep healthy members on the right track, identify worsening conditions where more personalized outreach is warranted, and help members with chronic conditions make the best choices for their health. Valuable resources can then be focused where they’re needed most and can have the greatest impact on both your business goals and member health and satisfaction.
Engagement software can more closely connect members to resources and information to keep their health on track. If you want to learn more, contact Twistle at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Innovative Member Engagement Platform
Learn how Twistle’s digital engagement platform can power your member communication strategy and drive results with:
- Seamless integration with your existing systems
- Personalized, step-by-step guidance
- Alerts and dashboards to prioritize care management needs
To download our free guide, please fill out the form below.